Friday, August 14, 2009

Library Lines

Summer reading programs are in full swing at WPL, and not just for kids this year. We have an adult program under way as well, with prizes and recognition for young and old.

My own summer reads are focused in two places at the moment. First, I'm completely taken with Furst,-- Alan Furst, that is. When I mentioned to an ex-cold war era submarine captain friend of mine the other day that I was reading my first Furst, Dark Voyage, he wistfully replied that he couldn't envy me more my days of discovery with this master of World War II era espionage historical fiction-- dark and delicious. So far, two down and six to go. Also, I'm having a fine time reviewing Thomas Paine's trilogy-- Common Sense, The Rights of Man and Age of Reason. Check out one of our three biographies about this enigmatic character and discover how the man who sparked two revolutions, ours and the French, wound up a pariah in America, with nary a portrait or bust in his honor on Capitol Hill to this day!

Here's a heads up that our annual Friends booksale will commence on Monday, August 24, and run through September 2. A preview hour will be available from 9-10 a.m. on the first day (admission, $20). From ten o'clock on it will be the usual bibliographic bargain-fest. All proceeds are most welcome in augmenting the Library's budget.

No comments: